Horse Tales

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Several members of my extended family have blogs, and I thought it might be fun. No one may ever read it but me, but that's ok. I named my blog Horse Tales because many of my stories are likely to be about my horses, Shiloh and Hope. That being the case, allow me to introduce my equine companions.

Shiloh is a Clydesdale-Quarterhorse cross gelding. He's 10 years old, black with white markings, and he has BIG feet. A local trainer once told me that I could never sneak up on anyone while I was riding "Thunderhooves." She is entirely correct; we are hard to miss! I started riding when I was 47, so I wanted a fairly safe and trusty steed. Shiloh is really the perfect horse for me. He is very calm and sweet tempered and provides a wonderfully comfortable ride.

Hope is a Belgian--20+ years old, chestnut, with blond mane, tale, and feathers. She also has big feet, and she is also very, very sweet. In her earlier life she was an Amish work horse, and my trainer bought her at auction (saved her from the slaughterhouse) and used her as a lesson horse. I share-boarded Hope for about a year, and when my trainer sold her barn, I bought her. Right now she is working in a therapy riding program, and with her calm, even, reliable temperment she is perfect for the task. Unfortunately, she may not be able to do it much longer as she has ringbone (kind of like arthritis) that is limiting her ability to take the corners and carry people. I will likely have to find a retirement home for her and put her out to pasture to live out her days munching grass and enjoying the fresh air. Doesn't sound too bad to me!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! Nice to see you've joined the ranks. I've linked you on my blogroll and have introduced you to my readers. Perhaps they shall come by for a visit.

Have fun! It's addicting!

Love ya!

PS: I am your youngest brother's wife!

8:29 PM  
Blogger jcurmudge said...

Yeah! That's what I feel like sometimes in retirement. And you'll enjoy philippa's blog as well. She has turned me on to you. Have fun! And don't feel compelled to update like I do.

Uncle Curmudge

9:24 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. :-)
I have a friend who keeps horses. They seem to eat a lot. And they do grow old.

Our son had hippotherapy (horseback riding) for a summer. It helps balance and stability.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Hello! I know your youngest brother's wife and your blog is lovely!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Barnrat said...

Wow! One post and I have 4 comments. I was really surprised. Uncle Curmudge I am so happy to see you are back online; cool!

And Philippa, I do know who you are...I read your blog!

Julana, I have been so impressed by how hippotherapy helps with stretching out the muscles, gaining balance, and increased confidence. One young girl who rides Hope started out completely non-verbal--she now says "Horse!" when she knows she is going to ride. Very cool!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

Karen,

Welcome to the blogging world. I found you through that old curmudgeon. I haven't blogged since I fractured my thumb but welcome anyway.

The horses sound wonderful.

4:24 PM  
Blogger jiffypete said...

Wheres the pictures of your "children" What kind of "mother" are you
Cheers

12:51 AM  
Blogger David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

Bienvenue aĆ¹ le blogosphere. I use Picasa from iPhoto to post my pictures. Hint, hint. Looking forward to reading more.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home