Horse Tales

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Dressage Test

On Saturday there was a small show at my barn. There was a combined class, where participants had to compete in both dressage and stadium jumping, and a dressage only class. I had decided to compete in the dressage only class; it was my second show. In my first show, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, so I was a tad nervous. I was also, however, better prepared.

In my first show last spring, we were out warming up, and Shiloh was moving nicely. I was the next person to go, and I was starting to think that this would be ok, when suddenly there was a lot of commotion going on behind me. I whirled Shiloh around (ok, maybe not a whirl, exactly, but a reasonably slow turn) and saw to my horror that a friend of mine was flying off her horse. She landed hard. Proceedings were put on hold while people rushed to help, call the ambulance, get blankets, etc. There was nothing I could do and there was plenty of help, so I just milled around waiting for events to unfold. To make a long story short, Shiloh got pretty spooked before long--the ambulance beeping was scary enough but then people started running in and out--all very different from our usual sedate rides! The judge came back in and said "let's get started!" and I was on. We circled the ring at a trot preparatory to entering and beginning the test, and we were not in synch. Shiloh spooked at everything, and I was getting more and more nervous--plus I didn't know how badly my friend was hurt (turns out she cracked a vertebrae and was in a halo for 8 weeks). The test was a disaster; pretty much every move was executed poorly. I was sure I would never, ever do this again!

I calmed down and realized the folly of that hasty decision, and I started preparing for the next time, which came on Saturday. What a difference! This time, there were no surprises and no accidents. We performed the test as we had done in practice many times. I felt in harmony with Shiloh; he was very responsive and relaxed; he did what I asked of him smoothly. When we were done (this took all of 2 minutes, tops) I felt really good about our performance, and I patted Shiloh's neck in gratitude. And then came the surprise--we won the blue ribbon! Amazing! I was so happy as I clutched the ribbon and jumped up and down like a little kid!

I was still high from that experience when I had my lesson last night, and we had a lovely ride. My confidence is really increasing, and I am now ready to learn to canter Shiloh. I can canter on other horses, but Shiloh has a huge pop into the canter and there is so much power there that I have been afraid to do it. But now I am ready for the challenge! I know he will take care of me; we are bonded and in tune with each other when we ride. I also know that I am stronger and more secure in my seat than I was a year ago, and I am more sure of my abilities. Monday night we practiced trotting very fast so that I could get the feel of the speed and power--it was amazing. It's like flying--or how I imagine flying would feel if I could do it!

Every time I am riding, I am amazed by the power and majesty of the horse, and I am grateful that they are willing to let us ride them. Make no mistake about it; if a horse doesn't want you on his/her back, you won't be there long. They have any number of ways of getting you off! But when you are in harmony with your horse there is nothing like it on earth. I didn't have horses in my life for 46 years, and now I cannot imagine life without them!

3 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

Congratulations to you and Shiloh on the blue ribbon. You must really be proud and well you should be.

7:06 PM  
Blogger jcurmudge said...

Of course I heard from your Dad about the blue ribbon, but to read your narrative puts a whole different light on the experience of riding. You go, girl!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the blue ribbon! Well done. And it sounds like you and Shiloh a wonderful relationship.

And hope your friend is all better soon.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home