Horse Tales

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Catching up

It's been over 2 weeks since I posted here; things have gotten crazy at work! I had a couple of business trips (don't ever let anyone tell you business travel is "glamorous" -- it is anything but!) and that always discombobulates me. I've also had a sick dog. My 13+ year old Golden Retriever came down with something called vestibular disease. It's an inner ear thing that causes extreme vertigo. On day 2 he was totally unable to stand up, let alone walk. A friend helped me get him to the car and I took him off to the vet, where he stayed for a week. He's home now, but still a bit wobbly. His head is tilted to the right, which is kind of cute looking, but it makes it hard for him to navigate. He has a tough time with stairs; this morning I had to hold him on my lap and scootch down the stairs on my hinder; he fell down them yesterday and he wasn't about to try again! Who says old dogs can't learn? He is expected to gradually recover most of his balance, if not all of it. His personality remains as it ever was-happy and loving and very interested in food.

On the horse front, I am still not cantering Shiloh. I wasn't able to ride for 2 weeks (yikes!) and that really set me back. I had a lesson yesterday and my legs are aching big time today. I miss it so much when I can't ride. Shiloh's foot treatments continue as we are not convinced the canker is totally gone--and now he has a cleft running up the ball of his heel. I can't explain it and don't understand it, but he's not lame at all and it doesn't appear to bother him. It looks ghastly, and I plan to have the vet check it out this week. I spend so much more time and money on my animals' health care than I do on my own!

I haven't finished the Christmas sampler quilt yet, but I did finish piecing the top for a quilt for my sister-in-law (not Phillipa; another sister-in-law). I am making headway hand quilting a lap quilt for my mother, and I have 2 queen size quilts awaiting binding. I have fabric for several more quilts in hand, and more projects than time. Well, it keeps me out of trouble!

2 Comments:

Blogger David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

Aren't you glad that you don't require as much medical care as the beasts!

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man would I love to have seen the scooching down on the hinder with the mutt in your lap! Woot!

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home